Dear AUPN Members:
Strong leadership is the key component to setting and accomplishing AUPN’s strategic goals and in anticipating future needs. The AUPN Nominating Committee is pleased to invite all AUPN members to nominate individuals (chairs of Neurology) to serve in one open President Elect and one open 2nd Vice President position for a term of two years; and three open councilor positions for a term of three years. These positions start on April 27th, 2020.
The Executive Council meets two times per year via conference call and has two in-person meetings each year coinciding with the ANA and AAN’s Annual meetings. The newly elected President Elect, 2nd Vice President and all incoming Councilors are asked to attend the in-person Council meeting on Monday, April 27th, 2020.
President Elect Responsibilities
- The AUPN President, President Elect and AUPN Executive Office hold monthly 30 minute status calls to discuss the progress of AUPN including upcoming meetings, financial updates, committee updates, and other topics as needed.
- The President Elect serves on the Finance Committee, which meets in-person in the Fall to review the budget.
- The President Elect, along with the 2nd Vice President, oversees the dues collection process. This includes reaching out to institutions in mid-January asking them to pay dues for the upcoming year.
- The President Elect will, at the end of his/her two-year term as President-Elect, then serve as President for the ensuing two years.
2nd Vice President Responsibilities
- The 2nd Vice President serves as Chair of the newly established Online Engagement Committee. Committee members shall strengthen the academic Neurology community by facilitating social media discussions and creating online resources to increase member engagement. To start, the Committee will meet every other month, but this may change as the Committee evolves.
- The 2nd Vice President, along with the President Elect, oversees the dues collection process. This includes reaching out to institutions in mid-January asking them to pay dues for the upcoming year.
Self-nominations are welcomed and encouraged.
The nomination period closes February 9.
The AUPN supports departments of Neurology through its educational offerings, including courses for chairs, program directors and clerkship directors, as well as the Combining Clinical and Research Careers in Neuroscience which we co-sponsor with NINDS, ANA, AAN and the CNS. The AUPN also supports networking through its Chairs Discussion Forum where you can ask questions and gain insights from other Chairs on important issues related to your academic neurology department.
We are always looking for ways to better serve the academic neurology community and to find solutions to the challenges academic neurology departments are now facing. Please assist us by submitting your nominations today.
- President (2018-2020): Robin L. Brey, MD, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- President Elect (2018-2020): Cliff L. Gooch, MD, FAAN, University of South Florida College of Medicine
- 1st Vice President (2019-2021): John Greenfield, Jr., MD, PhD (2014-2019) University of Connecticut School of Medicine
- 2nd Vice President (2018-2020): Gretchen E. Tietjen, MD University of Toledo Department of Medicine
- Secretary/Treasurer (2018-2021): Steve L. Small, MD, PhD, The University of Texas at Dallas
- Past President (2018-2020): Karen C. Johnston, MD, University of Virginia
- Louise McCullough, MD, PhD (2017-2020) University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- Kerry Levin, MD (2017-2020) Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- David Standaert, MD, PhD (2017-2020) University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Kathleen M. Shannon, MD, FAAN, FANA (2018-2021), University of Wisconsin Madison
- Larry R. Wechsler, MD (2018-2021), University of Pittsburgh
- Larry B Goldstein, MD, FAAN, FANA, FAHA (2018-2021), University of Kentucky Medical Center
- John England, MD, FAAN (2019-2022), LSU Health Sciences Center SOM - New Orleans
- Howard Goodkin, MD, PhD (2019-2022), University of Virginia
- Barbara Vickrey, MD, MPH (2019-2022), Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai
Chairs, please don't forget to pay your 2020 dues! Details regarding what your dues covers and information on how to renew can be found here.
Save the Date: 2020 AAN Chair Summit
March 8-9, 2020
Please contact Sue Rodmyre, AAN Senior Director, Education and Research, with questions.
AUPN Mission: To advance and strengthen the academic Neurology community through education, mentorship and the sharing of best practices among leaders in academic neurology.
AUPN Vision: To shape the future of neurology as the voice of its academic leaders.
The following organizations are seeking to fill the following leadership position
University of Texas Medical BranchVice Chair Neurology
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Chair of Neurology
Opt out of AUPN emails